Welcome

Welcome to Celluloid Scares - a blog about the darker, cheaper, sicker side of film. Here we'll have news, reviews and articles about all aspects of Cult and Horror cinema. We will cover everything from the skid row quickies from the 1930's to this week's latest genre releases.

WARNING: If you attempt to view any of the films mentioned in this blog, its best to do so with adult supervision or at least be on the wrong side of a 6 pack of cheap cider.


Monday 17 October 2011

Review: Shark Night 3D (2011)

It's a great time for horror - never before would such straight to DVD crap be shown on the big screen. Honestly you can't be too hard on it, it's called 'Shark Night 3D' after all. I did expect the dumb, shallow annoying characters but what surprised me was the bad the CGI was. It looked like something from the Syfy Channel or  the dross that Asylum pump out. But what shocked me the most was them going for a 15A Cert (PG13 for you Yanks). It might have been more enjoyable it they upped the gore 100 fold and added some T&A and make it some sort of contender to Alexandre Aja's Piranha.

So it's a film that falls between 2 stools - it's not gory/violent enough for the real horror crowd and too cheap and trashy of main stream audiences.

Despite all this I did enjoy it but you have to understand I was such a shark nerd as a kid and Jaws is probably is in my top 3 favourite films of all time. Add to this the influence of cheap cider then make up your own mind on how reliable my opinion is.I also have to add the film was pretty educational as I had never heard of 'cookie cutter' sharks before this film (another creature that needs to be added the the website, animalsbeingdicks.com).

1 comment:

  1. It's too bad that this didn't have the budget that Piranha 3D had - I honestly enjoyed Piranha 3D - An absolute blast in the theater.

    ReplyDelete