Welcome

Welcome to Celluloid Scares - a blog about the darker, cheaper, sicker side of film. Here we'll have news, reviews and articles about all aspects of Cult and Horror cinema. We will cover everything from the skid row quickies from the 1930's to this week's latest genre releases.

WARNING: If you attempt to view any of the films mentioned in this blog, its best to do so with adult supervision or at least be on the wrong side of a 6 pack of cheap cider.


Wednesday 16 November 2011

Review: The Devil's Rock (2011)

I have to admit I'm a sucker for a film with Nazi's and the Occult. Maybe, it stems from too many hours playing Wolfenstein as a teen but love movies like The Keep, Hellboy or even Indiana Jones. It's not just the occult but any horror elements will do, LIKE ZOMBIES. Despite how bad they were I had to sit through crud like Oasis of the Zombies, Night of the Zombies and Zombie lakes. All it took was a swastika wearing walking dead to do it. At least the recent Dead Snow many up for those earlier snoozers.

Which leads me to The Devil's Rock, a low New Zealand horror. Set on the eve of D-Day, two Kiwi commandos are on a mission to destroy a German gun emplacement in the occupied Channel Islands. There they stumble upon more than just Nazis. Exploring the bunk that protects the gun they find scenes of extreme carnage with slaughtered Nazi's everywhere. It's there they discover Germany's last attempt to swing the balance of the war, to summon help from Hell.

The Devil's Rock is a well made (despite the budget) film. It has a minimal cast but the acting is decent and though the script strays into the clichéd it does its job. The makeup for the demon is a little disappointed and reminds me a little too much like something that you'd see in 'Buffy' or 'Supernatural'. The film might seem a little familiar if you've see The Outpost or The Bunker but it's an enjoyable in itself and not a bad first effort from director, Paul Campion.

3 comments:

  1. The combination of Nazis and occultism really sparks my interest, too. I'll definitely have to check it out, between your review and HDC Elvis's. Of course, you're both in NZ, so I'll probably have to wait quite a while before I get to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen The Outpost or The Bunker? They might satisfy you until the release of the above film. BT, not from New Zealand but Ireland and I used the occult ritual of 'uTorrent' to summon the media to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, crap. I don't know why I thought you were from NZ too. Sorry, man.
    Anyway, I haven't seen either of those, but I remember the trailer for The Bunker and was keen to check it out.
    Haha, yeah. I'm familiar with that particular ritual. I guess I'll have to turn down the lights and try it again.

    ReplyDelete